Guidelines for developers
For information about the use of elsA software please refer to the User guidelines page.
You will find here information about the development of elsA software concerning :
The documentation of elsA software is mostly accessible on this web site. For documents who are not accessible or if you want a paper copy of any document please contact the elsA documentation manager.
- For an overall view of elsA project and software, we enjoin you to consult the following reference general documentation
- When going further in the development of elsA, you will consult with lot of benefit, read thoroughly and/or participate in the enrichment of the following documentation
- the reference documentation concerning elsA product
- the source documentation
- Overall documentation for the development of elsA is to be found in
- More specific reference documents about the development process are
- Undergoing development documentation may be found in the heading "Development documentation" which gives access to very useful day-to-day working documentation for the development team, such as
- "provisional" releases of Product Reference documents ;
- Internal Notes (NI type documents, see Manuel de Documentation) written by the developers to communicate about all aspects of their development (theory, design, implementation...) ;
- generated source code documentation from intermediate version.
Hereafter is, almost chronologically, an overall view of the different tasks that constitute elsA development process.
- First of all it is important that you inform the Developer support of your planned development for a necessary co-ordination of the elsA evolution and then, that you do not hesitate in the course of your development, to exchange information with this support about your development. A day-to-day development/integration task planning is formalised.
- You should write as soon as possible a documentation concerning theoretical bases and then design choices about your development. It will help in communicating with other developers and the developer support to consolidate your choices ; the corresponding Internal Notes are made available from the documentation data base. If your development is integrated in a reference version, your documentation will be ready to enrich the Theoretical Manual and the Design documentation about your development.
- The configuration management system used for elsA development is CVS as described in User's Guide to CVS and production on elsA project. You should create a new CVS workspace for each new development. We enjoin you to bring regularly your development workspace up to date with the successive reference versions producted so as to profit by the evolution of the source during your development and minimize the updating task at the time of integration of your development.
- Make a thorough use of the test case bases
and prepare as soon as appropriate during your development non confidential test cases to enrich these bases for the validation and further maintenance of the features you are preparing.
- Before integration, all elements produced for a development, ie documentation, source code and tests cases, are reviewed by developers. You will be asked to participate in reviewing other developer developments and other developers will review your developments. See the heading Development/Reviews for more information about reviewing a development and asking for an integration review.
- When helping to track the bugs reported by users concerning parts of elsA you are familiar with, you will find all information under the heading Development/Problem Tracking.
Support to the developers is ensured by the elsA team. It covers
The address elsAemail@example.com is specially dedicated to contact the developer support. You shall use it whenever you need something which concerns the developer support.
- tutorship of the beginners,
- co-ordination of design and implementation choices,
- accompaniment of all developers in the evolution and instrumentation of the development process,
- support for debugging production versions and
- co-ordination of integration reviews.
The developer support regularly sends information by mail to all developers about : new production versions, tips for development, problems detected in production versions... All these information is accessible in web archives as described in next heading.
How to communicate
Several communication means are available to receive information or give some about development of elsA.
- First of all, you should introduce yourself to the Developer support so as to be registered to the developer list, be allowed to access to CVS, receive access passwords to the private sections of the web site which are reserved for you, and receive all electronic or paper information intended for you by the team. You may then communicate by mail with the developer support whenever you need it.
- The Developer discussion list is at your disposal to share your experience and your questioning about developing elsA. The address is elsAfirstname.lastname@example.org. You may subscribe on the welcome page of the discussion list and consult the archives of all mails sent to this adress.
You will find specialized information for the developers, according to your needs, in the headings
- Project/Management for development/integration task planning,
- Project/Email lists for the e-mail addresses of elsA project,
- News/Developers for general information, specially about production versions,
- Development/Tips for development advice,
- Development/Validation for intermediate version validation record,
- Development/Known bugs for bugs detected in production versions,
- Development/Problem Tracking for developers information about use problem tracking,
- Development/Reviews for integration review information,
- Development/Documentation for provisional versions of reference product documents,
- Development/Environment for hardware and software development environment,
- Documentation/Identification booking for access to elsA new document identification and documentation database.